Specialty Areas: Glomerular disease; Chronic Kidney Disease, End Stage Renal Disease; Risk Factors; Epidemiology
Chronology: BS: University of North Carolina, 1981; Research Dental Hygienist: University of North Carolina, 1984-6; Social Research Assistant: University of North Carolina, 1987-90; Social Research Associate: University of North Carolina, 1990-4; MPH: University of North Carolina, 1993; Research Instructor: University of North Carolina, 1994-2002; PhD: University of North Carolina, 2001; Assistant Professor: University of North Carolina, 2002-2009; Associate Professor: University of North Carolina, 2009-present.
Susan Hogan’s research interests focus on the epidemiology and clinical outcomes of various renal disease populations. She is particularly interested in studying population distributions, risk factors for disease onset and progression, quality-of-life and therapeutic interventions across a variety of glomerular diseases. Dr. Hogan’s current research efforts include an evaluation of the impact of occupational and environmental exposures on the initiation and progression of ANCA-associated small vessel vasculitis in a population-based case control study, and an assessment of the impact cigarette smoking on renal biopsy tissue and progressive loss of kidney function in various selected glomerular diseases. She also participates in developing community-based programs to educate the public about risk factors for and early detection of kidney disease in high-risk counties in North Carolina.
- McGregor JG, Negrete-Lopez R, Poulton CJ, Kidd JM, Katsanos SL, Goetz L, Hu Y, Nachman PH, Falk RJ, Hogan SL. Adverse Events and Infectious Burden, Microbes and Temporal Outline from Immunosuppressive Therapy in Antineutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibody Associated Vasculitis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2015 Apr;30 Suppl 1:i171-81.
- McGregor JG, Hogan SL, Kotzen ES, Poulton CJ, Hu Y, Negrete-Lopez R, Kidd JM, Katsanos SL, Bunch DO, Nachman PH, Falk RJ. Rituximab as an Immunosuppressant in Anti-Neutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibody Associated Vasculitis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2015 Apr;30 Suppl 1:i123-31.
- Lebov JF, Valladares E, Peña R, Peña EM, Sanoff SL, Castellón Cisneros E, Colindres RE, Morgan DR, Hogan SL. A Population-based Study of Prevalence and Risk Factors of Chronic Kidney Disease in León, Nicaragua. Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2015 Feb 24;2:6
- Berg EAB, McGregor JG, Burkart ME, Poulton CJ, Hu Y, Falk RJ, Hogan SL. What Everybody is Doing but No One is Talking About: Use of Complementary and Alternative Medicine in the ANCA Associated Vasculitis Population. J Autoimmune Dis Rheumatol. 2:74-91, 2014.
- Geetha D, Poulton CJ, Hu Y, Seo P, McGregor JA, Falk RJ, Hogan SL. Clinical characteristics and outcome of pauci-immune glomerulonephritis in African Americans. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2014 Jun;43(6):778-83.
- Poulton CJ, Nachman PH, Hu Y, McGregor JG, Jennette JC, Falk RJ, Hogan SL. Pathways to renal biopsy and diagnosis among patients with ANCA small-vessel vasculitis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2013 Jan-Feb;31(1 Suppl 75):S32-7.